Video games is timely relevant to every teenagers they use this to relieve stress, for entertainment, and whenever they are bored not just teenagers but also adults and children that are exposed to much on technology play video games but didn’t you know that there is a bad effect to us?
What is video game addiction
“Video game addiction is hypothesized to be an excessive or compulsive use of computer games or video games, which interferes with a person’s everyday life. Video game addiction may present itself as compulsive gaming, social isolation, mood swings, diminished imagination, and hyper-focus on in-game achievements, to the exclusion of other events in life. In May 2013, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) proposed criteria for video game addiction in the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, concluding that there was insufficient evidence to include it as an official mental disorder. However, proposed criteria for “Internet Gaming Disorder” were included in a section called “Conditions for Further Study”. While Internet gaming disorder is proposed as a disorder, it is still discussed how much this disorder is caused by the gaming activity itself, or whether it is to some extent an effect of other disorders. Contradictions in research examining video game addictiveness may reflect more general inconsistencies in video game research. For example, while some research has linked violent video games with increased aggressive behavior other research has failed to find evidence for such links.”
What are the symptoms of computer game addiction?
Because there is no official diagnosis of computer game addiction, there is obviously no universally agreed upon list of symptoms. Psychologists and other mental health professionals initially adapted the diagnostic criteria for gambling addiction and used this as a rough assessment tool for computer game addiction. This classification approach is rarely used today and for better or for worse, it is essentially up to the individual researcher or clinician to define the symptoms of computer addiction. Still, there are some signs and behaviors that are almost always included in definitions of computer addiction, such as…
- Significant interference with school, work, or relationships
- Often avoiding other commitments in order to keep playing
- Frequently turning down social invitations in favor of gaming
- Using most or all of one’s free time for gaming
- Regularly playing late into the night and which results in poor sleep habits
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Regular gaming “binges” of 8 hours or more nonstop
Internet is the most powerful invention today and it is very productive, but didn’t you know that there is a negative effects of internet on specially to us students? Let me tell you what is that.
- DISTRACTION-With its advancements and explorations, internet serves as a distraction for students too. Be it the social networking sites or any of the gaming ones, they seem to never the net go. Either they are busy chatting or just surfing the net simply wasting time. Spending too much time on the internet they get distracted from their studies which ends up in a loss for them.
- MORAL CORRUPTION-Despite the useful things available on the net, there are such things too which could lead to moral corruption of the students. Everything is easily accessible over the net which leads to this situation. Students tend to visit such websites which are meant for the adults and this becomes a daily routine for them.
- HESITANT TOWARDS FACE TO FACE COMMUNICATION-Despite the useful things available on the net, there are such things too which could lead to moral corruption of the students. Everything is easily accessible over the net which leads to this situation.
- LACK OF CREATIVITY-Students are often given a loathsome of projects and presentations to make. Well, what happens nowadays is that they simply copy paste all the information available from the net into their notebooks. Not a single student tries doing it on his own.
- ABANDONMENT OF FAMILY-Students are often given a loathsome of projects and presentations to make. Well, what happens nowadays is that they simply copy paste all the information available from the net into their notebooks. Not a single student tries doing it on his own.
- INSOMNIA-Insomnia is none other than a sleeping disorder that is known for its symptoms of unrest and the inability to sleep. Unfortunately, internet too could be a cause for this. Students that are too much addicted to the internet and therefore fall a prey to this disease.
- PRIVACY DISRUPTED-Talking of the social networking, multiple things can be exchanged or rather uploaded over them. For example, students don’t realize and in their innocence they exchange private pictures, messages etc. through personal chats which in turn disrupts their privacy.
- PHYSICAL INACTIVITY-Physical inactivity is another result of the internet. Students who love surfing the net make it a routinely work for them. Getting too attached with the technologies, they sit with their laptops for hours and hours not making a movement. This makes them physically inactive.
- ADDICTION-Over attachment to any person or thing is obviously harmful. Addiction to the internet too is another thing that the students become prone to. Some of them get so badly attached to it that letting it go becomes tuff for them. They get addicted to the extreme level.
- CYBER BULLYING-Over attachment to any person or thing is obviously harmful. Addiction to the internet too is another thing that the students become prone to. Some of them get so badly attached to it that letting it go becomes tuff for them. They get addicted to the extreme level.
The internet is without a doubt the best resources available to us, but we need to be aware of what we do or what we click on the internet because not everything we see on the internet is real.
What is cyber safety or internet safety?
“Web safety, or online safety or Internet Safety, is the knowledge of maximizing the user’s personal safety and security risks to private information and property associated with using the internet, and the self-protection from computer crime in general.”
“Cyber safety is the safe and responsible use of information and communication technology. It is about keeping information safe and secure, but also about being responsible with that information, being respectful of other people online, and using good ‘netiquette’ (internet etiquette).
Understanding cybersafety is all the more important when working with, or caring for, young children as they cannot make their own decisions about what gets published online.
Whether you are a teacher, an administrator, a parent, a family member or a caregiver, please read this page as it includes guidelines, links and resources on staying safe and responsible online.”